Halloween doesn’t have to be ALL scary. After making the SCARIEST CUPCAKES EVER, we needed a cutie patootie refresh here at the the casa.
Meet my sweet little marchmallow pals. I want to smooch them.
This recipe is another one that is more about technique than an especially delicious cupcake recipe. I would definitely recommend this black velvet but any boxed mix that you happen to like will totally get the job done.
It is important to use a firm buttercream icing with these because they can get a little bit heavy.
You can use any store bought fondant as well but I would really encourage you to make a quick and easy marshmallow fondant. It takes about five minutes in a stand mixer, costs about two dollars for HUGE batch, lasts for quite a while in the refrigerator, and more importantly it will taste delicious. Kind of like a circus peanut.
You will also want to hold off on inserting your ghosts into the cupcakes until they have reached their final destination. Don’t worry though! It only takes a second and all of the parts can be assembled way in advance.
Once these little fellers established themselves as a small and happy ghost army on our countertop the little gal could not stop trying to engage them in conversation.
“Ghosties, did you sleep good?”
“Ghosties, do you like to dance?”
Make these for your Halloween sweeties!
- 24 cupcakes
- 1 batch marshmallow fondant
- 1 batch green buttercream icing
- ½ cup green colored sugar
- 24 lollipops
- black royal icing for eyes
- one block styrofoam or some other surface the you can stick your lollipops in
- Pipe green icing on cupcake using cupcake tip. I like to use an open star working in a swirl from the center of the cupcake moving outwards. This will produce a rose which will be fairly level. Once cupcakes are frosted, dust them with green sugar and set aside.
- Unwrap 24 lollipops. Roll fondant out and cut 24 circles using a cookie cutter or the ring from a wide mouth jar. Mold the fondant onto the lollipops to create a ghost shape and stick in styrofoam to air dry. Add eyes to your ghost using royal icing.
- Just prior to serving, stick ghosts into the center of each of your cupcakes and enjoy!