When you’ve got a bunch of little people and the home date night has become a very real thing that probably sounded lame when you were sans tiny people but now is the thing you look forward to all. week. long. There are a few things you get really crazy about appreciating. This life stage teaches you the value of a super great husband who likes to watch scary movies and with you and also that it is important to continually up your snack game. My snack game usually involves a lot of salsa, some nachos when I’m feeling cray-zay, and homemade brownies. Always. It’s predictable but in a way that we like.
I’ve never been a huge Kettle Corn fan. When you buy it pre-made it’s always weird and too sweet and dusty. A couple of weeks ago, we went to a pumpkin patch and my little bitty gal got snack crazy. They had candy apples, caramel corn, ice cream, and kettle corn. With a mind sort of on nutrition or at least the lesser of the evils, we picked the Kettle Corn.
And MAN it was good.
I had to figure out how to replicate this at my house without a giant metal cauldron and a woodstick in a tent.
- It smells like fall in here and I think that is great.
- Kettle corn is really easy to make and incidentally a lot better at home. Who’d have thought that!
I would never suggest this could replace brownies. It’s also not nachos. It is pretty good though and so fast and so easy and so nostalgic tasting.
Is nostalgia even a flavor in anyone’s world besides mine? Maybe it’s the Pumpkin Pie spice. It adds just a little tiny extra something. This popcorn is still great without it though.
Make this on your next movie night. You will be so glad you did!
- 1⁄2 cup unpopped popcorn
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup coconut oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Place the oil in the bottom of a large pot and melt over medium heat.
- Add in the unpopped popcorn kernels with the sugar and salt.
- Pop the popcorn by constantly shaking the pot over burner to ensure that the popcorn kernels and oil do not burn.
- Once the popping has slowed down to approximately one second between pops remove the pot from the heat.
- Sprinkle with pumpkin spice and enjoy!